Friday, January 30, 2015

Friday Night Lights

So I never played team sports growing up, not in the classic sense at least.  I danced in school and out of school.  I was in ballet at 4 years old, took tap, jazz, was on the hip hop competition team through high school and then was on my school's dance team and later captained the High School Drill team.  I spent a lot of time learning how to perfect my craft personally and then coordinated with other people who perfected their personal craft.  I could enter a competition as an individual or as a team, but as a dance team, you are still only responsible for your individual performance.  Dance is a visual and performance art. That's how I roll.

Now, being in a team centered business, I am finding that relinquishing power and responsibility to others is kind of tough.  Luckily, my husband played football in high school, and I love TV shows about high school.

I watched the entirety of the Friday Night Lights television series (5 seasons) over the course of a couple months. This is what I learned:

The QB (quarterback) is the leader of the team.  He calls the plays, he reads the signals and the whole team works to protect him.  Red jersey means you don't hit the QB in practice.

A good Running Back is also instrumental to your team.  If your running back and QB are best friends and have good rapport, you can make touchdowns in two ways- that's good.

Wide Receiver - They are good at following directions. If they are worth their weight, they always show up where you need them.

Team means you protect each other.  Team means you work together.  Team means you communicate when the play changes. Your successes are largely placed on the back of the Quarterback.  As a quarterback, you don't just have to coordinate with a team, you also have to call the play, be a leader and garner respect so that when you move, the team moves.  That's how you win football games.  It's not about personal best ever -- it's about collaboration 100%.

I get it.  A quarterback isn't the biggest guy, but he tends to be the most athletic OR the hardest worker OR the most respected.  He's the person everyone wants to work for and for that he has to be the role model. Being a leader isn't about being the best for you, it's about bringing the best out of your players . . . out of the team.

Day 13 reason my business is awesome: A would be ballerina can grow to be a QB

No comments: