Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Hero Inside You

There's a hero, if you like inside your heart.  You don't have to be afraid of what you are.

Mariah Carey may be on the decline in her career, but the girl knew what she was talking about with that song.  I've been reading a book, How to Win Friends and Influence People.  You may have heard of it.  Dale Carnegie, the author is the godfather of self improvement.  The book covers basic concepts like smiling, being interested in others, eliminating criticism from your vocabulary as a means of connecting with people.  Liking people, and understanding how to make them like you is good for you and it's good for them.

I hate to say that this is something I need to work on, but that's truth.  Empathy is not always my strong suit.  I understand the Golden Rule when it comes to manners, common courtesies.  But I suppose, thinking about the Golden Rule when it comes to conversing and engaging people in conversation, in how I want people to be interested in me, to interact with me, I can honestly acknowledge that I never thought it mattered that much.  I will be the first to say, that I am learning how to like people.

I have been infusing the concepts from the book in my day to day work, comings and goings.  Asking people about themselves, making eye contact in the hallway, smiling.  It works.  It makes me feel better, and it makes other people feel better.

I had an appointment with a new client this evening.  The husband scheduled it, but I met with the wife because he had to work over time.  First appointments are always information gathering and finding out what the need is.  I spent an hour talking to her about their finances, what their dreams are, what their jobs are like and what they would rather be doing instead.  We worked together, thinking through their game plan for buying a house for their daughter (she wants a swing in the front).  It was a great conversation and at the end of it, I had enough information to write a financial plan for their family - or at least the beginnings of one.

This is my gig - finding out what people want and mapping a way for them to get there.

Zig Ziglar was right: The easiest way to get what you want is to help enough people to get what they want.  I just have to get good at finding out what people want - talking to them, being interested in their lives, being nice to them, building relationships with them, educating them for them for the long term so they can make smarter decisions and help them help themselves get to their dreams.  I just have to be the best version of me, and my reward is that I get to be a professional hero.  I get to be the go to person, the one who made a difference.

Day 8s reason my job is awesome: By being kind to people, I make my living as a professional hero

When the going gets tough, the tough get better.

No comments: